COVID-19 The INN’s Plan & How to Help
As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, The INN, like many other organizations, has been forced to modify services to the guests, while continuing to serve the community in the best way possible. The Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen has shifted from serving hot meals to a bag lunch program, since the building closed to guests in order to adhere to state and CDC guidelines and restrictions on March 16th. Each weekday, a limited number of volunteers assemble lunch bags of sandwiches, snacks and beverages to give out to all who come to the door. Each Friday, pantry bags of grocery items are provided, as well as limited supplies of personal care items and diapers. At the Center for Transformative Change (CTC), guests are given assistance by phone from trained staff members to help them navigate their current situations. In the shelters, guests are safely quarantined, and are given their meals and other needed items while staying in the shelters with their families.
What Can You Do to Help?
(click the images below or links to get started)
Make a Donation in any amount to help us cover the extra costs needed to continue to serve guests with the dignity and respect we have always given. Funds will be used to implement a “Grab & Go” lunch program to serve guests at the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen, as well as to continue to adequately serve guests in our shelters and at the Center for Transformative Change Resource Center.
Please click here or scroll down to make a monetary donation. Any amount is greatly appreciated!
Make a Donation Directly on Facebook
If you’re already scrolling, please consider donating to our Facebook fundraiser, or start one of your own! Donations from Facebook are directly sent to The INN.
Order from The INN’s Amazon wishlist
Order items that are necessary to help INN staff and volunteers make 300-500 bag lunches each day. At checkout, choose The INN-MARY BRENNAN INN as the shipping address, and the items will be sent directly to us.
Click here to view our Amazon wishlist
Order from The INN’s Online Drive No Amazon? No Problem! You can help by ordering non-perishable items to include in the lunch bags for guests at the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen through our online goods drive! Pick the items you would like to purchase, and they will be sent directly to the soup kitchen!
Click here to view our online drive
Drop-off Donations You can drop off donations at the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen from Monday-Friday from 9am to 2pm. We are currently looking for local businesses who can provide ready made, individually wrapped sandwiches for donation.
Click here for a list of our current bag lunch needs.
Donate on Venmo If you’re a Venmo user, you can make a direct payment donation on Venmo. Visit www.venmo.com, or use the mobile app and donate to our user name @THE-INN. Donations through this payment app will go directly to The INN to help those in need.
- Volunteering: At this time, we are only able to accept those who have volunteered at the soup kitchen in the past. Spots are limited to abide by social distancing restrictions. If you would like to volunteer, please click here to fill out a volunteer form
- If you have any further questions about how to help, please call the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen at 516-486-6243 Monday-Friday between 9am and 2pm.
What Have We Done?
- A professional cleaning crew has been brought into the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen, as well as the Center for Transformative Change, our emergency housing shelters and our main office. All facilities have been sanitized with a 30-day antiseptic spray on all surfaces. We continue to clean and sanitize the building regularly, per CDC recommendations.
- As of 3/16/20, we have closed the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen for our daily hot meal. Guests who arrive at the soup kitchen each weekday will be given a bagged lunch to go. As of April 1st, guests will no longer be able to enter the building for showers or to use the bathroom. Seating will be added outside the soup kitchen for guests to sit and rest, rather than standing online.
- Guests continue to receive donated, individual sized hand sanitizers to help limit the spread of the virus.
2020 Fact Sheet
Please click here to see how The INN has been able to continue its mission of Serving Hungry & Homeless Long Islanders in 2020 and 2021.