The INN operates the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen, the largest soup kitchen on Long Island where over 200,000 meals are served annually. You can help us by hosting a food drive in your community of non-perishable, shelf-stable food items.
Hosting a food drive is a great way to Get INNvolved! Not only is it a fun activity, but it helps The INN continue to serve hungry and homeless Long Islanders with Dignity, Respect and Love.
We thank you for your desire to start a food drive and encourage others to join The INN as we work to overcome poverty and provide services to create self-sufficiency for our neighbors. We are INN this together. Thank you for every act of compassion.
Tips for Organizing a Food Drive for The INN
See below to get started with your family, community group or company
- Select a group you would like to reach out to. It could be neighbors, co-workers, fellow students, fellow worshipers, etc.
- If possible, ask some friends to assist.
- Select a start date, end time and location
– One to two weeks is a good length for a drive. A good time for a Thanksgiving Food Drive is late October through early November. (example: October 28th – November 11th)
– Time should be whatever works best at the location
– Location could be at your home, or place of employment, school, worship, etc. If location site is at your workplace, school, etc. be sure to get approval. Be sure location is specific, such as in front of garage, or room 123.
- Get the word out. Email, social media, posters, flyers, whatever you think is best. Following is a sample announcement. Be sure to insert your dates, times, location and contact information:
FOOD DRIVE FOR THE INN SOUP KITCHEN IN HEMPSTEAD
OCTOBER 28th – NOVEMBER 11th
ABC COMPANY – ROOM 123
All non-perishable food items welcome – canned soup, canned vegetables, canned fruit, tuna, pasta, cereal, etc.
No glass items please. No donation is too small or too big.
Contact (516) 123-4567 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Place container(s) at the collection site. Large cardboard boxes usually work well. The container should be labeled, “INN FOOD DRIVE. THANK YOU!”
- Once the drive begins, be sure the collection site is checked regularly. Make sure the container doesn’t overfill or get messy. It may be necessary to empty the container several times before the end date. Make sure there is a place to store the donations until the end of the drive. Don’t be discouraged if there is less food than expected. All donations of any amount makes a difference.
- At the conclusion of your Food Drive, you may:
– Bring the donation to the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen at 100 Madison Avenue, Hempstead during open drop-off times Monday-Friday between 9am and 2pm.
– Bring your donation to our monthly Saturday Curbside Food Drive. Please check our website for the Saturday Curbside Food Drive upcoming dates.
– If the size of the donation does not fit in your car, or it is not practical to drop off, we may be able to schedule a pick up date.
Please call the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen to inquire about pick up at (516) 486-6243.
- Make sure the collection site is left clean.
- If you have any questions about a food drive, please call (516) 486-6243 or email email@example.com
- THANK YOU for helping!