In January of 2016, The INN launched its newest INNitiative, the Center for Transformative Change (CTC), a unique facility located immediately adjacent to the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen in Hempstead. CTC serves as a Resource Center to assist guests of the soup kitchen to improve their life circumstances and/or become self-sufficient. The facility also houses a Clothing Boutique, where guests can acquire free clothing, including business attire for interviews or a new job, and housewares. The boutique is open and accessible to guests by appointment only.
Our mission is to assist guests with access to resources such as government benefits, housing/shelter placements and employment.
We Are Currently Able To Offer The Following Services:
- Government Benefits: Helping contact the Department of Social Services for SNAP (Food stamps), HEAP, and the Social Security Agency (SSI and SSD)
- Emergency Housing: Helping contact Department of Social Services for emergency housing, help in locating and securing affordable housing (NOTE: Very few landlords are accepting applications or new tenants at this time)
- Id Documents: Assistance in applying for birth certificates, driver and non-driver licenses, Social Security cards
- Veteran Assisstance: Helping contact Services for the Underserved
- Health Insurance Enrollment: Help contacting health insurance representatives, (usually we have onsite access to reps, currently just phone contacts)
- Health Care: Referrals to health, dental and mental health services
- Mental Health: Onsite visits with Central Nassau Guidance counselors, tele-medicine appointments with therapists
- Furniture: Referrals to St. Vincent DePaul.
- Notary Services: By appointment
- Computer Lab: Training and access to email and resources for housing and employment
- English As A Second Language: Onsite classes through Literacy Nassau Literacy
- Employment Serivces: Help with resume writing, job searches, on-line applications, interviewing skills etc.
- Legal Services: Onsite access to pro-bono law referrals
- Money Management: Help with credit counseling, banking and budgeting: will resume when banks re-open for in person services