Center for Transformative Change
In January of 2016, The INN launched its newest INNitiative, the Center for Transformative Change (CTC), a unique facility located immediately adjacent to the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen in Hempstead. CTC serves as a Resource Center to assist guests of the soup kitchen to improve their life circumstances and/or become self-sufficient. The facility also houses a Clothing Boutique, where guests can acquire free clothing, including business attire for interviews or a new job, and housewares.
108 Madison Avenue
Hempstead, NY 11550
Want to Get INNvolved? The CTC is in need of volunteers during the week at various times. You will have the opportunity to Try it for a Day in our boutique, or become a regular volunteer and commit to one or more shifts a week.
Hours of Operation
CTC services will only be available to guests of the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen who need additional assistance, with the intention of opening to the public in the near future. Initial hours of operation will be:
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 3pm
- Resource Center Services are provide by appointment only from the Mary Brennan INN.
- Clothing Boutique Services are provided by direct referral from the Mary Brennan INN following the daily meal.
CTC is staffed mostly by supervised volunteers and offers direct services, hosts visiting agencies and provides referrals to selected outside agencies in the following areas:
- Assistance in obtaining ID documents (i.e. birth certificate, non-drivers ID, social security card)
- Computer training and access to internet-based resources for housing and employment
- Establishing a secured mailing/P.O. address/Qualifying for a government-issued cell phone
- Assistance in applying for Department of Social Services benefits (SNAP, HEAP and Section 8 housing)
- Locating and securing affordable homes/rooms/apartments/set-up needs and furniture
- Immigration services/Legal services
- Education services: English as a Second Language/High School Equivalency/College/Adult Tutoring
- Employment services (Resume/Interviewing skills/Job Training/Career Opportunities/Career Clothing)
- Health Insurance Enrollment/Health Screenings/Referrals to health, dental and medical health services
- Money Management Services (Credit Counseling/Banking/Budgeting)
- Transportation assistance may be available for CTC clients to go to job interviews, work or school.
Check out some photos of the newly renovated facility and our January 14th launch event: