In January of 2016, The INN launched its newest INNitiative, the Center for Transformative Change (CTC), a unique facility located immediately adjacent to the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen in Hempstead. CTC serves as a Resource Center to assist guests of the soup kitchen to improve their life circumstances and/or become self-sufficient. The facility also houses a Clothing Boutique, where guests can acquire free clothing, including business attire for interviews or a new job, and housewares. Because of Covid-19 restrictions, the clothing boutique is closed at this time.
108 Madison Avenue
Hempstead, NY 11550
Hours of Operation
CTC services will be provided to those who seek assistance. Guests can call the CTC directly, or seek help in person Monday-Friday from 9am-2pm
At this time the Clothing Boutique is closed until further notice.
Our mission is to assist guests with access to resources such as government benefits, housing/shelter placements and employment.
WE ARE CURRENTLY ABLE TO OFFER THE FOLLOWING SERVICES:
- GOVERNMENT BENEFITS: Helping contact the Department of Social Services for SNAP (Food stamps), HEAP, and the Social Security Agency (SSI and SSD)
- EMERGENCY HOUSING: Helping contact Department of Social Services for emergency housing, help in locating and securing affordable housing (NOTE: Very few landlords are accepting applications or new tenants at this time)
- ID DOCUMENTS: Assistance in applying for birth certificates, driver and non-driver licenses, Social Security cards
- VETERAN ASSISSTANCE: Helping contact Services for the Underserved
- HEALTH INSURANCE ENROLLMENT: Help contacting health insurance representatives, (usually we have onsite access to reps, currently just phone contacts)
- HEALTH CARE: Referrals to health, dental and mental health services
- MENTAL HEALTH: Onsite visits with Central Nassau Guidance counselors, tele-medicine appointments with therapists
- FURNITURE: Referrals to St. Vincent DePaul.
- NOTARY SERVICES: By appointment
OTHER SERVICES BELOW NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE, BUT WILL RESUME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE:
- COMPUTER LAB: Training and access to email and resources for housing and employment
- ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE: Onsite classes through Literacy Nassau Literacy
- EMPLOYMENT SERIVCES: Help with resume writing, job searches, on-line applications, interviewing skills etc.
- LEGAL SERVICES: Onsite access to pro-bono law referrals
- MONEY MANAGEMENT: Help with credit counseling, banking and budgeting: will resume when banks re-open for in person services
If you are in need of our services, please click here to view a full schedule of guest services at the Mary Brennan INN Soup Kitchen and Center for Transformative Change Resource Center