Faq’s For Donating Goods
How Do I Get Started?
First, choose the type of item you would like to donate. (ie: food, clothing, toiletries). It is best to have a start and end date for your drive. Collection drives can run two weeks, a month or even throughout the year.
What Does The INN Need the Most?
Guests of The INN are always in need of the basic necessities; food, clothing, personal care items. We ask for seasonal needs on our wish lists. Click below for lists of our most needed items:
How Do I Spread the Word?
Ask your family members, co-workers, group members and community members to contribute to your collection drive. Here are some ways to advertise
- Create a flyer: All flyers must be approved by The INN’s Communications Department. For a Flyer template, click here.
- Send an email: Send an email to your address book asking to contribute items. For an email template, click here.
- Post on Social Media: Update your status, post on your wall, tweet it out! Here are some examples of social media posts (Feel free to cut and paste and edit to include your own information):
- Facebook: Girl Scout Troop #1234 is holding a clothing drive to benefit The INN! Please donate warm winter clothing and accessories at our next meeting in the gym PS 345, this Wednesday at 6pm!
- Twitter: Girl Scout Troop 1234 Winter Clothing Drive for @TheINN! Bring new and gently used winter clothes to donate to PS 345 Wed at 6!
What Do I Do Once I Have My Items Collected?
Due to limited transportation resources and manpower, we encourage donors to deliver their items directly to the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen in Hempstead. Pick-ups can be made by special arrangement, for very large quantities of collected items only.
Donation Drop-Off Schedule
To help the agency keep operating costs down, we ask that collected items be dropped-off at the Mary Brennan INN, located at 100 Madison Avenue Hempstead, NY 11550. Drop-off times are Monday-Friday 9-11am and 2-4pm. Use the side entrance next to the parking lot with your items. If you need assistance, a staff member or volunteer can help you unload your items. Upon request, a receipt for your donation can be obtained for tax purposes.
Unfortunately, due to limited staff and resources, we are not scheduling donation pick-ups at this time. We truly appreciate all donations to be dropped off at the Mary Brennan INN soup kitchen, located at 100 Madison Avenue, Hempstead, NY.
Are there any items you DO NOT accept for donation?
Yes. The INN cannot accept the following items:
– Dented or opened cans, bags or boxes of food, any partially eaten items or leftovers.
– Anything missing labels or items that appear damaged or spoiled (moldy rotten or past expiration date)
– At this time, we have suspended all acceptance of furniture and electronics.
– Stained, broken or rusted items or anything needing repairs to function.
– Any items that will pose a health or safety hazard to staff, volunteers or guests.
Who Do I Contact If I Have Questions?
If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact our Development Department at 516-486-8506. Emails are preferable and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
What if Someone Wants to Give a Monetary Donation?
Online contributions can be made on our donation page.
Contributions can also be mailed to The INN, 211 Fulton Avenue, Hempstead, NY 11550. Make checks out to: The INN.
Please note the name of your food drive on the memo line of the check or in any letter or online contribution sent to The INN.
For inquiries about monetary donations, please contact Dorian Stern, Chief Development Officer at email@example.com